IML: '58 A/C

Hi Gang:

Has anyone any experience with 134a in these units?  I replaced all the hoses, pressure and flow tested the evaporator and condenser, replaced the receiver dryer and expansion valve with R134a compatible parts. The cooling is poor even though the line from the expansion valve to the evaporator is cold. Here’s the kicker, the compressor is so cold that water is condensing on it.

Being a modern G* tech I’m used to the compressor running hot as it compresses the gas, am I missing something?

Oh yeah the compressor is capable of over 300 psi on the high side with the service valve accidentally left closed, oops.  The sump is filled with mineral oil to the correct level and I put 6 oz. of ester oil in the gas side. I charged it with enough refrigerant to clear the sight glass, like old For*s.

Any ideas on this?

Ernie and The Black Bitc_!!