Re: IML: 73 Details

The fans and relays come as a kit. I think I'll connect them (change temp switch)to come on any time the radiator temp is above 160 or 180. Keep the water cool. I understand the 100 amp alternator is the same as the 60... just better. Are the mounts the same? I can't tell from the specs. I think I need more amps if i run electric fans.

From: "Frederick Joslin" <fljoslin@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: 73 Details
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:07:39 -0500

The wiring is not an issue. You should hook any fans directly to the
battery (fused of course) controlled by a relay. You will need a
thermostat to control the fans via the relays. I have seen adjustable and
fixed temperature thermostats. I would choose adjustable. The thermostat
sensor is often attached to the engine side of the radiator. You could
either wire the thermostat hot (always on) or through through a circuit
which is only on with the ignition. Either way this will not draw much
current. Many newer vehicles run the fan after the engine has been shut
off.

I would guess that the fan(s) will draw about the same current as
headlights so you could run into issues with all the electrical
accessories and the fans running (ie at night). I do not believe that the
voltage regulator is an issue. Your original voltage regulator should be
solid state and replacements are cheap and readily available.  I do not
know anything about availability of high amperage replacement alternators
or if you really need one. Can you get your alternator rewound/rebuilt to
operate at a higher amperage?

BTW My 69 LeBaron has a large trans cooler. If you do not have one of
these I would certainly look into getting one.