From: "Frederick Joslin" <fljoslin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:59:45 -0500
Subject: IML: Catastrophic oil loss 69 LeBaron

<snip>

I backed the car into my driveway and then into the garage. After I got
out of the car I could see several large oil puddles and a very
significant oil trail. One of the puddles where I had stopped the car for
a few seconds was about 1' x 2'. I was shocked.

I quickly grabbed an oil drain pan and put it under the car. The oil
seemed to be coming from the bell housing. I jumped into my trusty
Intrepid and retraced the route I had taken to buy gas. I figured that
something had probably happened coming up the hill. I traced the oil
trail all the way back to the gas station (2 miles) and then could see
that the car had been dripping on the way to the gas station. I then
traced the trail all the way back to my house. It looks as if the oil
started to leak right as I left my house on the trip to the gas station.
Leaving the house I did not jump on it, give it a hard shift or anything
and the car had been warmed up and driven about one mile before this.

I hope that I have not damaged the engine. I was running synthetic 20/50
weight oil, but I am sure that there is none left since I was able to
follow the oil trail for 4 miles. Does anyone have ideas about what
happened. The engine did not leak oil or burn oil prior to this and was
not over filled

Fred Joslin