From: fljoslin@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 1:49 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Catastrophic oil loss 69 LeBaron

Thanks for the replies. My first thought was the rear main seal, but I did not think that it was under pressure and did not understand why it would fail so badly. Then I remembered the sending units at the back of the engine. After I went out to lunch and gave time for both me and the car to cool down I had a quick look at the sending units. There are two of them. A large one (pressure?) and a smaller one? The leak may have been coming from this area, but it is not entirely obvious. The car was still too hot to do anything. I also checked the oil at this time. The level was about half way (or slightly below that) between the add line and the bottom of the dip stick.
My plan is to do an oil change and measure the amount of oil remaining in the engine right now. I will tighten up the sending units and then fire the engine up to see if there is a leak. I just feel really lucky that the gas station was only 2 miles away and that there was no traffic. I hope that I am lucky.
I remembered over lunch about a 1966 Fury that I had. It had a mechanical oil pressure gage and the line to the gage broke pumping all of the oil out. Ironically I was driving the car over to a friends to get the engine rebuilt so it did not really matter. The biggest problem with this leak was all of the oil on my friends drive way.