Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Finally on the road

Hey Don - Congratulations on your newfound bundle of
Chrome!

That's a good story! - how about taking some photos,
sending them and more details along, and letting the
gang at the website create a page for it?  We're happy
to add photos and updates as things progress, of
course.

Go to www.imperialclub.com and hit the CONTACT US
button when you're ready.  Can't have too many 196o
stories out there if you ask me....

-Kenyon

--- Donn Reese <DReese@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

The whole thing started in April with me rescuing
the poor thing from my friend's "field of cars" -
one of about five vintage cars he has sitting in the
grass.  After a new master cylinder and brake bleed,
new fuel pump, some general maintenance, as well as
a rebuilt transmission - the ol' car finally hit the
highway last night.

It certainly gets the attention around town.  I'm
not sure if it's the fins, the acres of chrome, or
just the overall impact of "coolness" but the
Imperial sure seems to put a smile on peoples faces.

I was pleasantly surprised how well it handles on
the road.  I was expecting that the front end would
need some work but the car tracks straight with
little to no slop in the wheel.  Also the brakes
seem to be performing just fine - a bit of a concern
of mine as I had never done a brake job before.
Once I get a new headliner the cabin should quiet
down a lot, currently the roof bows rattle around.
The car has a meaner "growl" to it than one would
expect from a luxury car, I suspect different
mufflers will take care of that.

BTW, kudos to Bob Hoffmeister for looking into
transmission alternatives for me.  I'm sure he spent
more time than many would tracking down a different
option for me when a local shop started giving me
troubles.  I finally found a different local guy who
knew what he was doing so I didn't go with Bob's
option; but I wanted to put a plug in for how
helpful he was......and I'll be putting in an order
with him for some parts I need soon.

I'm having trouble with the turn signal switch.
It's not staying "on" in either direction, I have to
hold it most of the time.  Or if it does stay "on",
it doesn't shut off after completing the turn.  Can
anyone give some advice on the best way to repair
it, or is a new one in order?  Also at idle the turn
signals blink rather slowly, speeding up with an
increase in engine RPM.  The tranny shop set the
idle a tad lower than I'd prefer but even so it
shouldn't affect the blink speed much, if at all.
Could this just be a corroded wiring issue - too
much resistance in the system?

Donn Reese
1960 Custom 4dr hardtop

response will be
shared with everyone. Private messages (and
attachments) for the
Administrators should be sent to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to