IML: 1975 Imperial In West Los Angeles needs rescue - HELP!

--- Mary Pat Curran <mpcurran@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi - my neighbor (original owner, who even has the
> bill of sale) has a 1975 Imperial - 100,200 miles on
it - copper color body & white top - always garaged,
that she must now give up due to her age and the teeny
> parking spaces now being painted onto the parking
> lots of the local market, bank and church.  Any tips
on where best to advertise it for sale?  She'd prefer
a collector or enthusiast to have "Old Betsy" rather
than selling it to the local - shudder- salvage yard
for parts.  It still gets her around our area reliably
but hasn't been out on the open highway for 8 months
or so here is west Los Angeles, California.

> Mary Pat Curran

> Email: mpcurran@xxxxxxxxxx

HI Mary Pat.

Your message reached the folks that run the online
website, and we really appreciate the intent behind
your message.  We are watching sadly as so many of
these really good cars fall into the clutches of Evil.

It only takes one "bad" owner to ruin a car that is
scarce and has survived for 30+ years.  We'd like to
help!

I have removed your direct contact information,
leaving just your email address, and am cc'ing the
Imperial Mailing List of 600+ people, which is filled
with responsible folks that care about Imperials very
much.  - Perhaps you will get some interest so as to
avoid taking the car to open market and getting it to
a collector right off?

---

There is a value guide here:

http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1975/Prices.htm

Although these are really fine cars, they have not yet
begun to appreciate in value, so the car may have a
challenge in fetching much of a premium.  Many of
these cars, even in really good shape, struggle to
break $2500 in value, despite the suggestions of the
value guide.  The numbers on the link above are only
indicators, and your negotiations may vary, but
hopefully that's a starting point for price
discussions that is impartial to both buyer and
seller.

The scourge greater than wrecking yards is the
demolition derby.  Imperials are very popular there
for their size, weight, and radiator position that is
so far back from the bumper.  Most derby folks won't
spend much above $1000 to get a car, so we encourage
you to keep that in mind should you advertise it in a
public place.

Our mailing list generates about 50-100 messages a
day, so you have to be really dedicated to Imperials
to see this.  Hopefully we'll be reaching much of your
potential audience of buyers here in one step.

---

The three places that might be good avenues to go down
for advertising it would be:

1.  the free (but sometimes slow to generate
IMPERIALS FOR SALE at www.imperialclub.com .   Be
patient and you may find the right person in time.

2.  www.craigslist.org

3.  eBay

People tend to buy based on what they can see, so
taking photos and then describing everything in detail
is crucial to taking a car from being perceived as
"just OK" to "very appealing" should the right person
happen by your ad.

I encourage you to give this email message at least 72
hours to work - not everyone will see it at the same
time.

It is likely that you could enlist a member of our
club to help the car find a home if it does not sell
to one of us, and I'm hoping that you'll get some
(we're online and world-wide).

In the event of multiple responses, think about how
you'll handle that.  Quality of message or email
date-stamp are obvious ways to decide what order folks
should be contacted in.

If you don't get any response or help with what you
are doing based on this email, please write back to me
and I'll see if I can find someone.

---
OIC - Folks!  This one's begging for attention and
help.  Anyone local to LA and interested please
contact the author of this email off-list (they won't
see things posted to the IML).  Hopefully this car can
go to a good place?

We're rooting for the car - step up if you have time,
money, garage space, or nothing else to do this
weekend!

Good luck to all involved.

Kenyon Wills
imperialclub.com website volunteer