Re: IML: imperial 1/4 mile times..ya gotta be kidding right

From: "mike and linda sutton" <mikanlin62@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: imperial 1/4 mile times..ya gotta be kidding right

Well, with a bit of prompting and a ever so small
amount of pride of being an Imperial owner, combined with the desire to show
off what most mere mortal Chevy owners can only dream of let alone
comprehend, we took our 62 Coupe to the Vintique night at the races.  We
were glad to see a Chrysler Windsor and a 57 Desoto as well, and several 40s
and early 50s Chryslers.

We were even more glad when our car turned a 17.89 in the quarter mile,
which is by no means quick in drag racing terms, but when you consider the
weight of the car, the gearing, a single exhaust, a 90 degree afternoon and that for most muscle car era vehicles a 14.5 second quarter was considered
a good time slip...hey its not bad.

Sweet! I bet you weren't brake-revving the heck out of for the launch, either... The 'book' on my '69 was high 16's when it was new, and that was with the slightly more powerful/torquey 440. I think high 17 is entirely respectable.
  Betcha scared the heck out of people!
       -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT