IML: Running on Empty: '56 Fuel Gauge

Imperialists,

    I am seeking input on the operation of my fuel gauge.  Despite a new sending unit and the ease of movement of the needle within the gauge, I am having trouble with accurate/any real indication of how much gas is in the tank.  Now, notwithstanding the fact there are no baffles in the tank and that the needle will float accordingly, I had on hand what was supposed to be an identical cluster and by looks at the front, it is identical.  The problem is, unlike the original gauge which remains installed and has only two direct electrical connections to it, my replacement has a transistor at the rear of the fuel gauge in front of what would appear to be connections similar to what is in the car, and this has me in a quandary.

    Both gauges in the clusters I have are free floating when unconnected and I went so far as to purchase a second new sending unit from Atlas (yeah, I know but I could find no other suppliers for the sender and believe me I tried).  Thusly, I have two new senders which I feel are correct and operating, as the one removed my fuel tank was identical, save the float, as the ones Mark has sent, and two options for gauge operation: somehow confirming the original still installed with the three other indicators does work (and frankly when connected there doesn't seem to be an accurate read that is why we went for first the different sender and now the different gauge), or the replacement cluster that from the front looks identical to mine and has three of the four connections the same, except for that transistor which prevents me from using it in fear of "toasting" and losing the temp, alt and oil press indicators on the replacement which I haven't yet confirm work, or somehow affecting my existing upon interchange.  I would change out just the gauge if I could prove it/either one would work. Any suggestions to testing these gauges to try and prove which one would work at least near accurate, and/or why the transistor is on one and not the other despite the obvious similarities?

Respectfully,

ybshore

1956 Imperial Sedan w/354 and three speed