IML: insulated brush alternator

This should NOT be as difficult to find as your local parts house is making it for you. I dont know where you are located geographically but that shouldnt be a huge issue. Try asking them for a 1970 or later unit. Typically Mopar had two general styles - independent of the various amperage ratings and not including the mid 70s 100 amp units which are entirely and completely different physically - and there is one very easy way to recognize them.

When you view them from the back side, the wiring connection side, the earlier point style regulation alternators are almost entirely round, with what looks a lot like a yoke or part of a 3 leaf clover encasing the diodes. The later alternators have a definite square hump on the back of them that encloses the diods. This is regardless of the alternator amperage output.

If you are dealing with an independent rebuilder or a parts store that has a LESTER catalog, that is an older catalog system that was nearly universal in the parts business for decades that was used to identify and number alternators, generators, and starters. They also usually had a factory to aftermarket interchange and whats called a buyers guide to help identify these by picture as well.

As far as the voltage regulators, there are replacement solid state units that Napa sells as well as Mopar sells, that will replace the points style units with solid state units and require no changes to the wiring. The Napa number was VR1001 last time I bought one, Mopar may or may not still have them in stock but the number was either P3690431 or P3690432 last time I bought one was 5 or so years ago. I have two vehicles switched over to the later - I think its 72 and later? - square back style alternator and stock for those years transistorized regulators.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe