Re: IML: 1960 gas tank removal...advice wanted

Re: IML: 1960 gas tank removal...advice wanted

Cut the J Bolts and get new ones. You can get them from gastanks.com for around $5 and save yourself tons of work trying to get the old ones off. If you decide to try to get the old ones off be careful not to break the tang off that the J bolt hangs in or you will really have a mess!

         Steve B.

Tom Scott wrote:
I went out this morning to replace the gas tank on my 60 4dr with a real nice replacement tank I purchased from Lowell Howe ( Imperial Saviour extrordinaire!!) I have been soaking the studs/nuts with penetrating oil for about 2 days now. Didn't matter, can't get the nuts off. I tried a nut buster, but not enough room to get it in position. If I put too much torque on the not, the mounting brackets that are welded onto the frame start twisting. I don't want to break those tabs off. Can anyone comment on the path of least resistance? I think my options are:
1-  cut the straps
2-  cut the studs
I don't know what's easier to get replace, the studs or the straps. I'm sure somebody has been down this road before.
Thanx
Tom

Checked by AVG Free Edition.