Re: IML: Car Production Broadcast Sheets

Re: IML: Car Production Broadcast Sheets

Car production broadcast sheets date back to the early 1960's (at least) in
the U.S. and 1966 or 1967 in Canada.

They were used to identify the parts going onto a car and thus were attached
to items brought in from other suppliers (seats, carpets, etc.) or from
another line in the plant (instruemt panels).   Sheets wwe also attached to
the body itself as the car rolled down the line, usually to the front and
rear fenders, so the assembly line workers could tell which axle,
suspension, brake, wheels, etc. to install.   The U.S. 1961 Plymouth-Valiant
brochure shows a freshly -painted red Valiant proceeding from the paint area
to the next point on the assmbly line with a brodcast sheet in the right
headlamp cavity.

The sheets were also printed at differennt days and times, depending upon
when they were needed.   Seats, which were built by outisde supppliers, had
sheets printed probably the earliest while sheets placed on the fenders were
done last as they would not be needed until the day of assembly.   The
sheets attached to the seats are usually tbe most common as they were placed
in the seat springs and are the hardest to fall off.   Of course sheets
placed on the outside of the car as the it progressed down the line were
tossed in the garbage when done.  Chrysler began including the day and time
of printing on the sheet sometime in the mid-1970's.

The area labelled "Build Codes" listed either the last three digits of the
part number or a bin number along with the colour code (where needed).
This made it easy for the assembly line worker to grab the correct part for
the car - torsion bars, steering column and wheel, brake/clutch pedals,
radiator, wheels, wheel covers/hub caps, etc..

What years of Imperials do you have?  There are a number of sites but their
codes are usually a mish mosh of years as they group 1962-68 codes together
which is incorrect.   The codes were the same for 1960-61, 1962-64, 1965,
and 1966-68.    Code 502, for example, was "Deluxe wheel covers" in 1960-61,
"225-cid slant six engine" in 1962-64, "Partial horn ring" in 1965 and
"Floor mats - heany duty - Police" in 1966-68.

>From 1969 to 1983 Chrysler used an A-N-N layout instead of the three numbers
(N-N-N) and grouped codes by the first letter (A - Accesories/Packages; B-
Brakes, C - Seats and carpets, D - Transmissions, etc.)   Code descriptions
were not altered during that time, although not all codes were used for
every year.   The codes were changed to an A-A-A- layout in 1984.

Bill
Vancouver, BC