Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 1:09 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 1968 Crown Convert - dashboard lighting and headlights

Greetings and Salutations:

Thanks to those who responded to my request for help re the non-illumination of my instrument panel on my 1968 Crown Convert. After further review it appears that the panel knob does work because it does turn the rear interior lights (slightly above seat level) on and off. So I guess I'm gonna proceed to pull the instrument cluster to see what else is going on in there. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice, hopefully not in a panic.

Here's a really dumb new question. Couple of years ago I bought the Chrysler/Imperial service  manual figuring that it would answer many routine questions about things I'd like to deal with on the car. Yeah, right! I'm confused as to how to get the headlights out so I can replace the sealed beams. I can see what I believe are the adjustment/aiming screws. a retaining ring and other sheet-metal type screws. The heads of the sheet metal screws point toward the grille. Do I have to remove these and what the heck to I use to remove them with. Can someone talk me through this?

Thanks so much!

Tom (Lawn Guyland, New York)

1968 Crown convert & 1960 New Yorker Coupe