RE: IML: 64 Iml aftermarket radio

Jay,

I believe the place I used for converting my Barracuda?s thumbwheel radio
also does repairs.  If the rest of your radio is working well, it might be
worth getting it repaired, then use a FM modulator to pick up a portable CD
or MP3 player.  There are portable FM modulators available pretty cheap, but
I?d recommend getting one that goes between the antenna wire and radio.
It?s a little more work to install, but less than installing an aftermarket
stereo.  You?ll need to run a power line to it with a switch, then a patch
cord to go from the CD player to the modulator.  If you don?t smoke, I?d
hide the switch and patch cord in the ashtray.

Otherwise some aftermarket stereos have remote controls so you can hide the
head unit under the seat or somewhere else.  Or get a box to mount it under
the dash.  With some careful planning, and scrounging in the junkyard, you
might be able to make a box for it with a dropdown front to camouflage it by
making it look like something that belonged there.

Personally, I like being able to use the original controls in the dash.

Rob McCall
?67 LeBaron