Re: IML: Old car telephones and portable rotary phones...

Re: IML: Old car telephones and portable rotary phones...

I collect antique rotary telephones as a side hobby and think that is a fascinating idea. I was emailed this link a few weeks ago but didn't think to forward it to the IML.

However, if you look on their "how we did it" page, the sound is 'scratchy' and it doesn't always dial correctly. It would probably take a few years of tinkering to get most of the bugs out.

But it would be great just for shock value (making a call with friends in the car or in view of passers-by while parked). But at $200 a kit, you'd need to be serious about it (and know about the complex innards of antique telephones).

However, the models they have already converted are a bit overpriced, even for the labour involved. Working models with the original guts can be found in antique shops or flea markets for as little as $5.

-Alex Krasicky

dexteria2002@xxxxxxx wrote:
For those of y'all who were interested in using the old car phones found in some cars, I offer this that I came across randomly: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=557

The above is a kit put out by a company that makes old rotary telephones into cellular rotary telephones that allows you to do the same. Even though it would require tearing out the innards of your existing car phones, I think this may be a viable option for those wishing to use them in this day and age (when they are trying to phase out old and reliable analog service).

I must say that I am tempted to get one of their pre-made models just to take to school and have a friend call during class... The face my teacher would make when I whip that out of my backpack would be hysterical!
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=286

Too bad the Packard does not have some sort of car phone or I would most definately adapt it!

Yours truly,

I.H.Dexter