From: wwatson5@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Fwd: 1962 Rear Axle, PT II

The 1957-66 Imperials had a 3-piece driveshaft.   The centre u-joint was
attached to a yoke that acted as a slip joint with the front driveshaft
while the front and rear U-joints were cross and roller style.  The Imperial
did not use the ball and trunnion style u-joint.  Also, the rear end of the
front driveshaft was held in place by a slinger bearing.

Thus the Imperial needed the rear axle control struts to keep the rear axle
and driveshafts in proper position.  The Chryslers. with their one-piece
driveshafts, did not need such equipment.

Bill
Vancouver, BC