IML: 60 Imperial-starter problem

I was out tooling around in my 60 Crown today running a few errands. It was cool today, temp right around 70F. The car ran perfectly throughout the day until the last stop. I ran into the local WalMart to pick up some film I had developed and when I came out, she was dead. The temp gauge never moved more than 1/3 of the way to hot the whole day. I had stopped, parked and restarted the car 4 times within a span of about 20 minutes and had driven maybe 6 miles or so. When I turned the key to start, nothing happened at all. I ran through the pushbuttons figuring maybe the neutral switch was hung up or maybe the pushbuttons themselves. Everything electrical worked at normal speed...windows, wipers, etc. Dejectedly, I hoofed it on home...fortunately I was only a mile or so from home. About an hour later I went back to the car, turned the key and she started right up. The starter spun at normal revolutions. Anybody got a clue as to what might have happened? I'm thinking either the starter or solenoid overheated but starting the car 4 times in a half hour or so shouldn't overheat them.
There is no corrosion on either the battery or the starter.
Thanx
Tom
60 4 dr Crown Southampton