Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 Imperial-starter problem

Hi all,

Are new starter motors for our cars ( in this case a 60 Imperial with a
413 RB engine) still available then?

Or are the old ones simply rebuild?

Thanks,

Robert
1960 Imperial Crown

Op Do, 31 augustus, 2006 11:57 pm, schreef Kenyon Wills:
starters are a weak point on the RB engine.  If you have not replaced
yours in recent memory, you would do well to heed the warning that you
just got from your car.

You might accelerate your cooling process with an open
hood next time.

I would suggest that your starter solenoid was a
victim  of heat-soak, but can't say for certain. Could be the relay, too.

Change it now - they don't age well.  You'll likely be
surprised at the difference a new, strong motor makes.

-Kenyon

--- Tom Scott <shelbyguy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I was out tooling around in my 60 Crown today
running a few errands.  It was cool today, temp right around 70F.  The
car ran perfectly throughout the day until the last stop. I ran into the
local WalMart to pick up some film I had developed and when I came out,
she was dead. The temp gauge never moved
more than 1/3 of the way to hot the whole day. I had stopped, parked and
 restarted the car 4 times within a span of about 20 minutes and had
driven maybe 6 miles or so.  When I turned the key to start, nothing
happened at all.  I ran through the pushbuttons figuring maybe the
neutral switch was hung up or maybe the pushbuttons themselves.
Everything electrical worked
at normal speed...windows, wipers, etc.  Dejectedly, I hoofed it on
home...fortunately I was only a mile or so from home.  About an hour
later I went back to the car, turned the key and she started right up.
The starter
spun at normal revolutions. Anybody got a clue as to what might have
happened? I'm thinking either the
starter or solenoid overheated but starting the car 4 times in a half
hour or so shouldn't overheat them. There is no corrosion on either the
battery or the starter. Thanx
Tom
60 4 dr Crown Southampton

reply to mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response will be shared
with everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for the Administrators
should be sent to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to