Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 Imperial-starter problem

--- Tom Scott <shelbyguy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Are they as easy to replace as the later gear
reduction starters?
Tom

1959-1983 starters are all about the same insofar as
remove/replace procedure goes, I "think" (never did an
80's car, but...)  The B/RB Block that is the 413/440
is the same.  Earlier years are likely not much
different, either, but my hands-on spans 60-73.
You'll find that learning your 1960 engine compartment
is essentially learning the 61-75 cars with small
jumps in accessory complexity each year, but similar
if not identical architecture in the engines.
If you have not redone your battery cables, especially
the ground and the hot wire that goes to the starter,
you'd be ahead if you did those too, cleaning all
contacts while in there with contact cleaner and a
wire brush as you go.  You're there already, and they
are interdependent, after all.

A poor connection can make your starter motor that
much harder to operate, and things will get hot due to
the increased resistance.

-K