Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 4:55 PM
Subject: IML: Opinions on Convertibles from 67/68, ( was: silent directional signals on my 1968 crown convert)

For a point of reference, I had a 67 Convertible for about 20 years; I sold it on eBay in 2004.   It was a mostly original 84,000 mile car, with original paint, chrome, all mechanical parts, but with a new top and new carpeting.  It was very presentable, but the paint was rubbed thin in places, and the upholstery had been replaced by the original owner with the correct patterns and colors, but with Naugahyde instead of the original leather.

I ran it on eBay the way I always run stuff on eBay, namely with no reserve and a very low starting bid ($100) ? as I feel that way one gets the best exposure and the true fair market value.   It brought $12,800 ? a price I feel was fair to both buyer and seller.

 I should add that the car was a loaded high desert car, never out of Southern California, so of course there was no rust, and that everything worked, from the windshield washers to the clock to the automatic headlights, the AC, all 6 power windows and all the other bells and whistles, and that the new top had the correct glass rear window and original tonneau cover.  I had replaced the wood inserts, and all the undercar equipment as needed over the years.  The car ran and drove perfectly, and still does today. (but don?t they all?)

The new owner has become a friend, but unfortunately he is not a joiner, so we don?t have him in the club.  He drives it as an everyday car in LA traffic, and has added about 25,000 miles without any problems.

As for driving the car, it was flawless, as they all are ? and the convertibles ride noticeably better than the closed cars due to the stiffer frame, although of course there is more wind noise, especially on our 80 MPH freeways.

As for your questions about parts availability and maintenance ? I never had a problem finding things ? usually on eBay, but sometimes from other IML members (thanks again, Larry, Don and Jason!).   I do all my own maintenance, so I can?t comment on that aspect other than to say these cars are as close to bulletproof as anything mother MOPAR ever made ? you cannot beat the 440/727 combination, and mechanical parts are a cinch since that combination was in production for so many years.

People do seem to be worried about brakes on these cars, although my experience, having owned 5 of them now, is that they are also quite trouble-free and long lived, given normal servicing when required.

Dick Benjamin