From: dickb@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 2:55 PM
Subject: RE: IML: silent directional signals on my 1968 crown convert

The sound you describe is generated by the flasher operation, but in order to hear it in the car, the flasher must be mounted in the clips provided for it. If it is hanging suspended from the wiring harness, you will not hear it unless there is no other noise at all.

Find the flasher, then find the mounting clip – install the flasher in the clip and that’s all the noise you will get.

In my 67 convertible, when the top was down, with the car in motion on the freeway, I could barely hear the radio, much less the turn signals!

67/68 Imperials had the indicators only on the front fender tops – there is no provision for in-dash indicators.  (This is especially bothersome to those of us who are red-green color blind – as the fender top indicators are totally invisible in daylight hours).  I don’t recall that problem with either of my 69s, so they must have woken up to the problem by then.

Dick Benjamin