IML: Another 60 starter question

I apologize if this was covered in an earlier post about 60 starters (though I didn't see it).
 Anyway could an average Imperialist rebuild his own starter?
Or would he even want to given the cost of a rebuilt unit?.
Thanks

Clay Smith
60 Custom( with what I suspect is an ailing starter)
67 Crown Coupe( has a great sounding gear reduction starter!)