RE: IML: Diesel rated oils - where to get them

RE: IML: Diesel rated oils - where to get them

I buy it from Costco, but since Diesel engine trucks are getting so popular,
I suspect most of the auto parts places carry it now. It comes only in 1
gallon or larger containers.

Hi, Dan;

I'll post my answer to the list also, as others may have the same questions:

Look for any oil with a "CX" rating - where "X" can be any letter - the "C"
stands for "compression ignition".

Some older stocks will be labeled something like "SG-CD", "S" meaning spark
ignition, "G" meaning 7th edition of SAE spec, "C" meaning compression
ignition (Diesel), and "D" meaning 4th edition of SAE spec.  All name brand
oils have this lettering on the container somewhere - just search until you
find it.

Current production gas engine oils no longer have the "CX" rating, because
they have had to leave out the ZDDP wear reduction additive that is needed
in engines that are seldom used, (which is a common situation for heavy
equipment - meaning most Diesel engines until recently).

Diesel rated oils have always been the best choice, in my opinion, because
they have always had superior detergent properties, and are top notch in all
other respects.  Until this recent change, I used the Chevron RPM-DELO "400"
SAE30W Diesel rated oil in all my gas engine cars, but that is getting very
hard to find these days anywhere but a Chevron distributor.  Also, it is no
longer rated for use in gas engine cars because of the catalytic converter
problem (of course this does not apply to cars built before 1975 or so.)

The oil I now use is 15W-40 Chevron RPM-DELO "400", because that is the
brand I have always used, and because that specific grade of oil is required
for my new Diesel truck - so I just buy it in case lots for all my vehicles
now.  I'm sure all the major oil sellers have an equivalent.

As for a subscription to Skinned Knuckles, you can go to
www.skinnedknuckles.com and then click "PayPal" or you can send payment to
them at PO Box 6983, Huntington Breach CA 92615-6983.  The check or money
order must be in US funds, and drawn on a US bank.  The subscription cost is
$24 per year.

Dick Benjamin