RE: IML: How about Synthetic oils? (Ken Lang's question)

RE: IML: How about Synthetic oils? (Ken Lang's question)

We may have to investigate additives soon, because our friends at the EPA
have now revised even the Diesel rated oil specs for 2007, to reduce the
ZDDP in that oil too!

My problem with over the counter oil additives is that there is no reliable
information as to what is actually in them, and what good if any it actually
does to an engine. Some contain ingredients that have turned out to actually
do damage to engines ("Slick 50" and other Teflon containing products come
to mind).

Engines are so tolerant of what is in the crankcase that many engines
soldier on for years with all sorts of ersatz contamination and never have a
symptom, so anecdotal evidence is totally useless.

I see it as a continuation of the old snake oil business - some additives
are simply solvents, and some are simply viscosity boosters, some have
alcohol to swell seals etc., and all make outrageous claims, backed up only
with anecdotal evidence - sure proof of quackery, in my opinion.  This is
right up there with food supplements, diet plans, vitamins, the Chia-pet and
all the other things you see advertised on TV - I don't trust ANY of them!

I'm sure a competent oil researcher could come up with an anti-wear additive
that would bring modern oil back to the level of protection that our cars
were designed for - but I don't know of any one who has done that, and put
it on the market.

There is a company called DCM industries, that markets "Motor Head" oil for
antique and classic cars, which contains enough ZDDP for us, but I'm sure it
is quite expensive - my guess is that they simply buy a major brand oil, add
some anti-wear additive, and re-package it for sale to us collectors.  I
have no information about it at all, that's just a guess.  Their e-mail
address is crosmobile-sk@xxxxxxxxx

Dick Benjamin