Re: IML: 65 A/C Question....

John is right about the by-pass door.  Your system
could be otherwise just fine, but the air is blowing
across the heater core rather than the evaporator.
The bypass door is operated by the vacuum device near
the RH hood hinge.  (Has two tiny vacuum lines
attached to it.)  Have someone alternate from "Heat"
to "A/C" while you watch for the bypass door lever to
change position.  If it is not moving, that may be
your problem.  You can disconnect the vacuum servo
from the lever and manualy open and close the by-pass
door if necessary.

Regarding the expansion valve.  This is one of the
most crucial elements in your system.  If it is not
working properly, no cold air will result, regardless
of the condition of every other component.  To clean
the screen the system will have to be evacuated.  One
test to see if refrigerant is getting past the valve
and cooling the evaporator properly is to check the
line coming out of the evaporator going to the muffler
- the canister-thing behind the battery.  A properly
working system will result in the muffler being very
cold to the touch - in certain conditions ice will
even form on it.  If the muffler is not cold, chances
are the expansion valve is clogged or defective.

The floor vent knob only works when the A/C or MAX
buttons are pushed and the blower is blowing.  It
merely diverts a portion of the air from the dashtop
vents to blow out of the heater vent on the floor.
(This heater vent automatically repositions itself to
blow upwards when the A/C is on.) Can be surprisingly
effective for cooling the front seat area.  If yours
is moving by itself, there is some problem with the
mechanism binding or is hung up on the diverter door
which moves it while switching from A/C to heat to
OFF. Follow the bowden cable coming from the knob and
check its attachment to the HVAC plenum.

Chris H.