IML: Diesel oils, synthetics etc.

I've been following this thread for a while and I read the same SK article
Dick referenced. Curious, I checked several oil analysis reports on my
vehicles (www.blackstone-labs.com) and found that the Pennzoil 10w-40 I use
in my gasoline engines shows between 500 and 900 ppm of zinc. The Chevron
Delo 400, which I use in my motorhome's Cummins 8.3 turbo diesel, shows
around 1500 ppm. The oil analyzed for the gas engines had about 4,000 miles
on it; the Chevron had about 8,000 miles of service.

So it looks like the Chevron Delo ends up with roughly twice the zinc as
regular oil and this supports the SK findings.

For those interested in oil analysis, Blackstone does a nice job for the
money: $20 for a single analysis and about $15 if you prepay for 6. They
provide a sample collection kit and a written, or electronic (pdf) report.
If anyone would like to see one of their reports, contact me directly and
I'll share one.

For what it's worth, I'm going to switch my Imperials to the Chevron
product. It's available at Sam's Club in the 4 gallon case.

Phil Brust
73 and 82 Imperial