RE: IML: Was 65 A/C question... now OH NOOO!!!!

RE: IML: Was 65 A/C question... now OH NOOO!!!!

The engine bogging down likely means your compressor
seized.  That in turn tore up your clutch.  Happened
to me once.  If you can find a clutch for a couple of
bucks from the local Pick-A-Part (any will work if
from a similar compressor) you can try it to see if
the compressor will turn.  My guess is it won't.  So
you might as well get two clutches.  You'll need a
good one (unplugged!) to

Note:  this particular system does not have a low
refrigerant safety valve.  If you were only seeing a
couple of bubbles, your charge wasn't so low as to
cause any problems.  A sight glass white with a solid
stream of bubbles would be different.

If the compressor is seized, keep your eye open for
deals on compressors as you go through the winter.
Then convert to R-134.  Best method - imparted to me
by a Mopar aficionado in AZ - is to remove the EPR
valve from the back of the compressor (if the new
compressor even has one).  The EPR valve is too
restrictive for R-134 and diminishes its cooling
ability.  Instead, install an evaporator thermostat
that cuts the compressor on and off to keep the
evaporator near freezing.  Your new compressor will
likely already have R-134 oil in it, so have the rest
of the system flushed of all old oil and debris
(remember, your compressor likely exploded internally,
no telling what got shot through the lines).  Be sure
to install a new R-134 drier with sight glass.  All
this is best left to a pro with the proper equipment.

Best of luck!

Chris H.