Re: IML: 65 door panel removal

TO remove door panel, unscrew the chrome grab handle.
FYI, the light bulb housing will pop out of the handle
- great for giving you a work light inside the door!

Next, open the armrest and pop out the two 1" metal
plugs.  They will reveal two other screws to be
unscrewed. (They do not have to be removed, just
unscrewed.)  Rear door armrest pads just pop off to
reveal screws.

Poke through the fuzzy liner in the interior door
handle channel.  You will find a large screw on the
back side of the handle .  Just unscrew enough to
loosen the handle.  You will also have to unscrew the
trim plate holding all the window/lock buttons and
unplug these.

There are various other visible screws on the door
panel  - one up by the vent windows, and a couple
holding a brushed metal "hockey stick" at the lower
side of the front door.  There might be a couple more,
so check carefully

Now you are ready to GENTLY pry the panel off.  It is
now being retained by spring clips.  Take a putty
knife - wrapped with a layer of tape to keep from
scratching paint - and run under the bottom edge of
the door until it hits a clip.  Pry at that point
gently to avoid damaging cardboard door panel backing.
 Go all the way around the door like this.  Then lift
up and out gently, guiding the electrical wires
through the holes in the panel in the process.
(Remember which wires go through which holes to
facilitate putting it all back together

Note:  Electric windows in the rear doors have a
ground wire connection.  Check that for a good contact
before assuming the motor is dead.

Replacing the window motors is another story.  They
can be replaced without removing the window regulator,
but it is tricky.  Probably less work than taking
window and regulator out of the car, tho.!  You'll
need a 7/16 wrench filed down thin enough to slip
behind regulator to unscrew a hidden 3rd bolt.

The AutoPilot knob has a tiny hex screw on the pull
knob.

Chris H.