Re: IML: Changing the Left to Right and ignition switch

Re: IML: Changing the Left to Right and ignition switch

The ignition switch was on the left side of the dash only on the new C body
cars (Fury, Polara, Monaco, Chrysler, Imperial) for 1969.  All the other car
lines kept their right side ignition location.  As the salesman said,  they
would be adopting GM's locking steering column system for 1970, and I
suspect it would be cheaper to tool a modified dash/cover for the small area
to the left of the column.

By the way, igntion key start (as opposed to button or pedal start) was
introduced by Chrysler twenty years earlier, in 1949.  And all 1949-50 Mopar
cars had the ignition key on the left side of the dash.

At least it was not like the 1963 Studebaker Lark that placed the ignition
key on the left side of the instrument cluster in order to balance the
location of the cigarette lighter on the right.

And for those that want to know about LH threads for the wheels, Mopar used
them from 1940 through 1970 on all car lines.   1937-39 American-built
Dodges also had LH threads, apparently studs and nuts, though,  and not
bolts as the other car lines used.

Bill
Vancouver, BC