Re: IML: 90-93 a/c-heat damper vent doors Not working properly

So Alan, since your so proficient in dealing with this problem- when will you'll be fixing it for me?? Ha! HA! -Thanks for the info.. I think I'll be getting to it real soon. How much does the Mode door cost? -Anthony
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 90-93 a/c-heat damper vent doors Not working properly

I had this problem on my 90 when i first got her. There is a damper door that moves the air from the floor to the dash. It is called the MODE DOOR If the actuator is working and it most likely is. To test the Head unit (dash display) get the car up to normal op temp, then push the Auto,Floor,and Defrost button all at the same time. the system will do  self test and go thru all the modes of operation. if no codes flash in the ATC display then its ok. and the Mode door has failed. they fail in one of two was 1st the drive shaft that the actuator moves is plastic, it shears off, 2nd the Mode door is a two part door so the system can do BI-LEV. the door has a flap on the main part of the mode door and it will brake away from the main door and keep the duct to the dash vents closed.  The fix for both is replace the mode door. IT IS NOT FUN TO DO.  you have to take out the hole dash to get to the air box to remove and change out the door. The dealer has the new Mode D oor, by looking at this new door you will see what I am talking about.
The actuator for the Mode Door is up in back of the radio if you wish to see if it is moving, but most likely the Mode Door has failed.  Got to love plastic car parts that move.
It can be dont I did it If you need to talk let me know
--
Alan Jordan
90 IMP

-------------- Original message from "anthony romano" <mamrom@xxxxxxx>: --------------

My controls are not working. I can't get the air/heat to come out of the chest/face vents? What controls this and where is it? - I change the push button control unit already-Anthony