IML: intake manifolds

I have an edelbrock aluminum intake on my 62, the amount of weight it removed from the front of the car...probably a good 35 pounds or so, but in the grand scheme of things...about .02 percent , sort of like knocking a tray full of cubes off an iceberg. But thats ok, I had the manifold and thought it would be kinda fun to grind off all the edelbrock wording that was cast in, sandblast it to give it a rough finish like a factory intake, paint it turquoise and put it on my car.

It fits the engine just like the factory one, but it did NOT like one of the air conditioning brackets. Thankfully I noticed this in advance and was able to grind off part of the intake casting that interfered with said bracket when I was removing the edelbrock logo. ( nothing at all wrong with the edelbrock company, just wanted that sleeper look ) I also wanted to retain the original 62 carb because of the way the throttle / auto pilot / kickdown linkages are all interconnected. Not that I couldnt have installed a later afb out of my collection but I just didnt want to hassle with the fact that the 62 has a push to open throttle and most later mopars have a pull to open that uses a cable. So that left a choke issue, but since I rarely operate the car in below freezing temps, it simply means it goes chokeless and takes a bit more finesse to start on a cool day.

The other issue, the intake is indeed taller than stock. To the point where the original air cleaner is maybe an inch too tall. If,..IF..you are using an original early afb then it will have a 4 7/16 diameter air cleaner base and about 99 percent of all the later afbs, holleys etc etc use a 5 1/8 as I recall. I do know there is a substantial difference. Even with a later afb, with the huge amount of aftermarket aircleaners available, clearing the air conditioning plenum can be an issue. With an early carb, finding an air cleaner that fits the carb and is not too tall and doesnt hit the plenum is just a matter of careful junk yard prowling or using an aftermarket aircleaner that fits the early carb.

Would I do this all again....hard to say. Would I recommend it to someone else, well it didnt change the mileage any appreciable degree so I wouldnt advise spending the cash on a new intake just for this purpose. If you have one already or have a lot of mix and match parts already, thats another story.

As far as heat....well yeah, the old cast iron units did soak up a lot of heat and they held it a long time. The aluminum one gets every bit as hot as the cast one did while the engine is running, same amount of heat energy is being generated by the engine as was before and it goes into the aluminum and it heat soaks just as well. It does however lose that heat when parked a lot faster than the cast intake did.

Just fyi stuff

Mikey
62 crown coupe