Re: IML: Side Marker Lamps/Reflectors

Why use the same bulb for parking lights / turn signals at the front and
taillights / brake lights / turn signals at the rear?  Simple, it is cheap
and it meets the requirements of the law.   They use a double filament bulb
with the 'high beam' used for the turn signals at the front and the brake /
turn signals at the rear.  The 'low beam' is used for the parking lights at
the froint and taillights at the rear.

Laws in the United States and Canada only stipulate that the taillight /
brake lights must be red.  Starting with the 1963 model year, manufacturers
adopted amber at the front for turn signls and parking lights.   The amber
lights stood out from the white light of the headlights.  Some cars, such as
the 1979 Aspen and Volare, had amber turn signals at the rear, but they were
not required by law.  And they cost more as the units needed another wire
lead, another socket, another bulb, and a lens with two (or three) colours .
It may only add up to $2 or $3 per car, but when you are bulding 500,000
cars a year, that becomes a good chunk of change.   And in the case of the
1979 Aspen/Volare. when you are losing hundreds of millions a year, that is
$1 million to $1.5 million that could be put to better use.

In North America, prior to 1970, it was not necessary to have the parking
lights on at the same time as the headlights, although Barracuda started
that in 1964.

Bill
Vancouver, BC