IML: 69 Lebaron fiberglass insert questions

IML: 69 Lebaron fiberglass insert questions

I am getting close to completing the repairs hidden by the vinyl roof on my 69 LeBaron 2-door.

I have a couple of questions about the rear fiberglass insert. Mine appears to be in pretty good shape with a couple of small chips around the edges. The material is fiberglass and is inherently somewhat fragile.

1) Is there some treatment that can be used to help this fiberglass last longer such as a special paint, wax etc.

2) Are there things that should NOT be done to the fiberglass.

3) I want to seal the entire insert after installation, especially across the bottom on the rear deck. I am considering using a good grade of regular household  silicone to do this. Pros and cons? From what I can tell from the factory the lower part of the insert was not sealed at all allowing moisture to accumulate under the insert and in the holes used to hold it down.

4) I intend to use stainless steel screws to attach the insert and also the trim clips around the front windshield. Are there any issues using SS screws and what is the best way to install these scrwes so they are not a source of rust.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred Joslin