Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 7:22 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Imperial fuel consumption

Converting this is harder than it sounds, since the standard metric measure
is fuel consumption (liters per 100 kilometers, or l/100km), not fuel
economy as in the US (mpg, which is a distance per unit of fuel).

Top convert mpg to l/100km, divide 235.215 by the mpg.

That is, more loosely, 235/(mpg) = (l/100km).

For example:
18 mpg = 13.1 l/100km
15 mpg = 15.7 l/100km
12 mpg = 19.6 l/100km
10 mpg = 23.5 l/100km
 9 mpg = 26.1 l/100km

Note that a lower number is better in l/100km (since it's fuel used to
travel a fixed distance), and the two inverse scales of mpg and l/100km
cross at roughly 15.3.

Why no one has ever developed a shorthand term for l/100km (like lpk or
something) escapes me...

For the original question, my '67 (same engine as the '66) in normal driving
gets about 11 mpg around town and 14 mpg on the open highway. Or about the
same as my modern Jeep...

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon