From: dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx 10:15 PM
To: Dick Benjamin
Subject: RE: LeBaron leaking...still!

Dick...by the way, looking at that photo you sent me the link to, that is
DEFINITELY the same as how the lower radiator hose connects in to motor. The
leak seems to be coming fromaround the back side of the hose.....looking at
the photo, it would be the around the right side of the upper part of the
lower Radiator hose.
By the way, how did you find that photo? what was your 'search' criteria?
There is SO MUCH info on the IML website but I guess I don't know the
best/proper way to search the site for whatever it is I am looking for at
the time! I have spent, literally, hours just looking through the site and
seeing what is there so I, hopefully, can find it later on...but I think I
have barely scrated the surface of what the site contains.
<<<<<<<<Thanks again!!         Dan.

I knew the photo was there, Dan, because I posted it, and many others as I
wrote up the refurbishing of my low mileage 67.   For things like that, you
can go to the club site and click on "Imperials by year" and then bring up
the year you are interested in - you'll see a list of articles about that
year.  In the case of the 440 engine, you'll find info all the way from 1966
to 1978 in there.

I think I may have put too much emphasis on the need to keep a water pump
wet. Just a few hours wouldn't allow it to dry out enough to make the seal
start to leak, but if the pump was already tired . . . . . (and the noises
would worry me - wiggle that pulley!)   Don't wiggle the fan, you'll confuse
yourself, because the fan clutch always has some play.  Wiggle the fan
PULLEY!  If you can feel any play at all, replace the pump.

As for where the leakage shows up on a leaking pump, it doesn't come out the
front of the pump, it comes out of a "weep hole" that is on the underside of
the pump, close to the mounting flange - it probably would run down the face
of the mounting flange and then go wherever gravity takes it - you probably
have to get in there with a dentist's mirror and a good light to track it
down.  Your hose may not be leaking at all.  Wipe your finger on the cast
iron inlet pipe ABOVE the end of the hose - if there is moisture there, the
leak is above that point!  Of course if you have driven the car in the last
few minutes, the fan may have blown the water anywhere toward the rear of
the engine.

Dick

---- Dick Benjamin <dickb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Take a look at:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1967/DickBsRefurb/englflow.jpg

If this is the way the hose connects to your 66, then most likely all 440s
are the same.  It is possible that what is leaking is your water pump - can
you see well enough to determine if he water is coming from some higher
source and running down the hose in its travel to lower territory?  If so,
what you might need to replace is the water pump (always a good idea if it
hasn't been done in the last 50,000 Miles, or if the pump has been allowed
to sit for more than a few hours with no water in it.)

The part that the water pump and the hoses connect to is called the water
manifold, and it would be my guess that all 440s use the same part, but Bob
H. would know for sure.