RE: IML: Radio questions re my 1968 AM/FM Stereo

RE: IML: Radio questions re my 1968 AM/FM Stereo

If it is a stereo, as your subject line implies, it does not have the seek buttons.

If it has the seek buttons and floor activator, it is not a stereo.

AM-FM does not imply stereo.

Stereo implies the 5 speaker setup (4 on convertibles) – if you do not have speakers in the doors, you don’t have stereo.  Unfortunately, the reverse is NOT true – in  other words, you can have the 5 speaker setup without having stereo – if the car came with an 8 track player.

Either way, these can be repaired by any reputable auto radio repair shop that is willing to work on the old technology radios, or if you can talk an old retired engineer into doing it for you (NOT ME!), but it does take special equipment and know-how – so talk to the vendor and make sure they are comfortable working on one of these, especially if it is a Stereo model – those are so crammed with electronics (and there are 5 separate parts to it, all of which have to be sent in to the vendor), that it is a real pain in the posterior to set one up right. I’ve been there and done that (see my write-up on the 1968 IML pages), and I don’t wish to do it again!

The rewards of having it right are superb sound from the 5 speaker audio system, although the receiver sensitivity is not up to modern standards (read –  “its OK if you live near a large city – but if you live in the boonies like me, 120 miles from the nearest radio station, reception is not that great”).

Dick Benjamin