RE: IML: re the radio in my 1968 imperial

RE: IML: re the radio in my 1968 imperial

No, it would not be practical to have the existing radio modified to make it into the optional stereo radio (but see below).  The stereo system was a totally different setup, with a multiplex decoder (electronics box) mounted behind the rear seat, connected with a multi-wire cable that runs back through the body on the right side.  Also, there are speaker management devices that control the balance and fader functions that are mounted behind the dash as separate units.

You can watch for a 67/68 Stereo radio system to come up on eBay – I searched for years to find the right one for my car (the previous owner had taken it in for service and lost the paperwork right before he died in 1985, and I was never able to track down the shop he had taken it to), but I finally found one at a swap meet in 1989.    But I have since seen them from time to time on eBay – usually being sold by people who have no idea what they have.  Be sure, if you find one, that it has all the parts – there are 5 separate items (including the harness to the rear of the car) in addition to the extra speakers for the doors.  The give-away that it is truly a stereo receiver is that in place of the seek buttons, there is a black bar which lights up the word “Stereo” when you are receiving a stereo signal.  If you peruse the write-up I did for the IML site 1968 pages, you’ll see what I mean.

You lose the seek function if you convert to stereo, and you also have somewhat weaker reception due to the characteristics of stereo transmission, which will be a factor to consider if you use the radio while traveling or live far from a radio station.

What many folks here have done is to secrete a modern radio or CD player in the car, hidden so that the appearance is of a normal radio installation, but the performance is totally up to date.    These folks have to add speakers to get the true stereo experience.

Another option, in fact the one I would recommend if you would like to keep the original appearance and function, but want the improved performance of a modern system is to contact one of the radio repair houses that will convert your radio to a modern set, maintaining the appearance of the original. They will gut the radio, and install a modern receiver in the case, connecting the various controls and using the dial of the original radio.  I believe they will retain the seek and search functions, and possibly even the action of the floor button.    You will have to install more speakers for the full stereo effect, however.   One way to do this and still maintain original appearance would be to find a set of the original type door speakers and change the speakers over to the recommended specs for the new electronics (if necessary).

Dick Benjamin