Re: IML: Leather Cleaners

I'm still wondering what a "neat" is, one with the correct "foot" from which the oil is derived(?).

----- Original Message ----- From: <dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "rex crews" <rexcrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Leather Cleaners

Hi All....I remember using Neatsfoot oil on my baseball glove back in, well, lets say 'a long time ago'! Didn't know it would be OK to use it on interior leather though; I thought it would run off and get oil on your clothing. But if it works good then its probably the easiest (and cheapest) thing to try!
Thanks Rex!
Dan melnik

---- rex crews <rexcrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Dear Group,

I have been following the posts on leather products and wanted to add
my two cents worth.  A problem that we face with most old leather on
our Imperials is that the finish is painted on and is not dyed into the
leather.  Therefore, any product that contains water or solvents may
condition the leather but also may loosen the painted finish.  I have
tried many things over the years and have been most satisfied with
Neatsfoot Oil, which a natural product that seems to soak into the
leather without deteriorating the applied finish.  The Kiwi brand of
neatsfoot oil is usually available at hardware stores is less than five
bucks a bottle.

Happy Preserving,

Rex Crews   '58 and '60 Crowns