From: randalpark@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Tie-Rod Ends
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:52:48 -0400

There are special tools used to remove the tie rod ends. The cheap and old fashion way is a pickle fork which wedges in between the two parts to separate the tie rod end from the control arm. This involves banging with a hammer and is not prefered. There is also a little "press" type tool that acts somewhat like a hub puller, or a battery cable puller, which will gently push out the tie rod end by applying pressure to a threaded stud with a wrench. Installing is easy, but you need to count the number of turns to "unscrew" the threaded end of the old tie rod to approximate its position so that the new one is close. Yes, you do need to have the alignment redone after the procedure. My front end shop changes the tie rod ends for me (I supply them) for little expense, and does the alignment.

Paul W.