IML: '56 Breathing

Imperialists,

    In cleaning both the upper and lower breathing units, after confirming with my mechanic (experienced friend who out of enthusiasm and entrapment, usually bails me out of the mess created) that when we installed new exhaust manifolds two years ago (or 2,500 miles) that we had in fact cleaned the tappet chamber, I went about the breather cleaning after noticing drips I did not like and I AM particular about Turq.

    Both chambers first went to the bath at the garage I use where they are kind enough to let me clean my various parts prior to painting.  The upper breather came clean quite easy and in fact weighed a lot less than when I began, as evidenced by the crud which I was able to "enliven" and push through with brush and cleaner, and the ease with which the cleaner blew back in my face through the 1/8" holes on the downside when I blew through the upper breather portion main port (only kidding).

    The lower unit was a bear however. First the cleaning at the shop and the initial removal of old oil aged into various hardened forms.  I got flow, but nothing like I felt I should in light of my little experience in such horse-hair-nesting, for lack of a better term.  So that night into a bucket of straight gasoline, COMPLETELY SUBMERSED, for a full day with me agitating it periodically and seeing further progress but still, when clean gas was poured into the top of the lower breather, it would still stand too long for me to consider it truly clean/breathing.  Enter full can of engine degreaser.  I must preface this by saying I of course went both ways always while cleaning:  with the flow of oil as per would be installed, as well as trying to push it back up the breather to further loosen sediments, I hoped.  So the degreaser can was sprayed both ways. I filled the breather unit so that I could "roll" the canister and know the degreaser was sitting in the nesting.  Then I would empty and repeat the process, blasting with the spray periodically during this process. Yes, I was able to remove further inhibitants, but still, if I poured the clean gas through, it would still stand on top of the nesting far too long for my liking.  I comprehend the fact there would be restriction, but not like what continued to be there.  Thanks to the sire I was able to prove it WAS working by toweling the upper breather and forcing air through the unit and it did so and I was happy, but unsatisfied.

    Then being a plumber kicked in:  (of course after watching my wife swear she really never pours bacon juice down the drain, as I questioned the congealed grease still in the sink) so I began to run the hot side to loosen it up and then ran the hot for a period so it won't just gel up further down my septic line, but rather at least get it to the tank......

    I climbed under Turq, unbolted my never seize installed bolt which holds the lower breather, from my freshly painted and now working flared connection between the lower breather canister and the upper draft tube and tried it out.  Not quite boiling water poured through as the oil would want to drip. I must say, sedmentarily speaking, I could shake the canister like a mambo dancer and be pink in the face and still not remove all the grit which is just trapped, but the oil reacted quite receptively to a constant stream of this hot water. I am fortunate in that I piped H & C to a particular sillcock where I wash the cars and use a shower valve to control temperature. Of course I also boosted ONLY for that cleaning period the setting of my water heater but DO NOT do this for if you forget, SOMEONE will get scalded.  I would suggest your large corn-on-the-cob vessel full of high temp water rather than messing with the water heater unless you are a PRO.

    She breathes very nicely now.  In fact the next time, I may dedicate a piece of pan ware (when Mother is not looking of course) and campfire stew the items until good and brothy!!!  LOL!!  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

ybshore