From: "Steve B."
Subject: Re: IML: Bringing home my 1956 Imperial for the first time
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 23:43:40 -0400

tom higgins wrote:
> I am trying to decide whether to drive my new
> 63 across town on mostly side streets.
> Distance is 9 miles. The seller is telling
> me not to try because the gas in the tank has
> been in there for two years. There is no way
> to drain and refill with fresh prior to this
> attempt. This is in tucson arizona where
> temps have ranged from 35 to 105 over that
> period of time. The car is starting and
> running OK in the driveway. A clear glass
> filter shows decent transparency of the
> liquid entering the carb. Am I nuts for
> thinking this will be no more than an
> adventure? After all, a tow truck is a cell
> call away. What is worst that can happen?
> Who has experience driving old cars that have
> sat for two years in a desert climate? Is
> there a screen in the tank that could stop up
> en route? Brakes, motor and tranny respond
> to all commands. Thank you for input. --Tom
>
> *//*

Well the safe way would be to have it towed
home then drain the tank and pull it. Once you
pull it you can remove the fuel sending unit
and see how the inside of the tank looks.
Luckily for me I never do things the safe way
though.. The way I would do it would be to
drive it to a gas station, fill it up and hope
for the best. after all AAA is only a phone
call away.

Steve B.

This message was sent to you by the Imperial
Mailing List. Please reply to
mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response
will be shared with everyone. Private messages
(and attachments) for the