RE: IML: Charging system (1982)

Sounds like your idle just might be a little low. Especially if you don't have the problem in neutral. It also can be a symptom a marginal system. Check the belts, if they are good, have the alternator and battery tested and check all the connections. I'd pay particular mind to the battery terminals since it was just replaced.

Rob

From: Nat Hall <nathall@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IML: Charging system (1982)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:06:14 -0700

>One odd thing, and this was going on before the new wiring harness and
>alternator: the turn signal works normally as long as I keep the rpm's up,
>say 600+.  However when I'm stopped at an intersection with the brakes
>applied, the signal slows a lot and frequently just stops blinking.  If I
>use my left foot on the brake and raise the engine speed a tad, the signal
>picks up speed.  I have a new "blinker" but haven't installed it.  Anyone
>have an idea what that could be a symptom of?

I have this problem on my '82 coupe as well. The blinker never stops
blinking, but it slows considerably. If my headlamps are on as well, forget
about it, my "VOLTS" idiot light comes on at idle. If I throw it in Neutral
it's usually sufficient to keep the idiot light off. While the car is under
power (normal cruising RPMs) none of these issues exist. Headlamps are also
considerably dimmer while idling. The battery is brand new as of a couple
months ago.

Is this the sign of an alternator that is going or should I start searching
for corrosion in the wiring somewhere?

Nat Hall
1982 Imperial Coupe
1987 Chrysler New Yorker