IML: 100 Octane Gas in My 1968

I found a local Coastal that sells 100 octane gas for 5.99/gal. Even though it's awfully expensive I decided to give it a shot. This past summer I pretty much alternated between 93 octane and the 100 octane - in other words, when I was down to 1/2 a tank I'd fill up with either the 93 or the 100, depending on what I had filled up with the last time.

I didn't notice any particular improvement in the performance of the car, so I am wondering if there was any benefit to using the 100 octane, or did I just waste my money? When I bought the car four years ago I had the points replaced with electronic ignition. I put very few miles on the car each year. I do get it up to highway speeds fairly frequently when I do use it. I also use a lead substitute every other tankful.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks
Tom
68 Imp Convert