IML: '56 Speedo Cable Installation

Imperialists:

    In replacing my old speedometer cable, I am wondering if there is a standard amount of cable one allows into the gauge itself, as well as into the tranny, i.e., do I feed all I can into the tranny and then assume only enough cable will be accepted, at either end; gauge or tranny, so as not to compromise the capabilities, or install in reverse?  The new cable did come with what appears to be a brass setting lock washer and I am wondering if there is a "factory" setting up the cable to "protect" the gauge? Any thoughts?

Respectfully,

ybshore