Re: IML: Ways to improve mileage?

Gas mileage!What the heck is that? I gave that up with my last Ford Pinto. If you want any kind of mileage, you need a diesel. My 83 MB.300TD wagon, gave 28-30 mpg.@4200lb It was no rocket-ship, but it ran 500k. My 93 Dodge 350 4wd Pick-up diesel 18-20.(6570) lbs. Mileage is relative to the weight, hp, and speed you try and propel the brick your driving. If your driving one of these pre-70s fossils, and get 10 plus, count your blessings, all the way to the gas pump!! And smile when you say: FILL'ER UP. I got my IMP, and I LOVE IT!! Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "Christopher Middlebrook" <delamothe@xxxxxxxxxx>
I think Klebert's advice is right on the money. Drive what you love to drive. My only concern about driving an Imperial is parts sources. Sure, we can find parts out there, but a lot of the replacement parts are lower quality Chinese made stuff. This is not so much an Imperial or Mopar problem, as it is hobby wide. The reliability of our cars is as good as the pool of replacement parts out there.
As far as getting better economy, the fact of the matter is that you have roughly 5000 pounds of car. So it's going to take a set amount of force to move that mass. Whether it's shaped like a brick or a sleek rocket, it's going to require the same amount of force to get it going a set rate. This is why SUV's get no better fuel economy than our golden oldies.
(Sure they have fuel injection and lighter cheesy plastic all over the place, but they still tip the scales at 4000 to 6000 lbs.)

Chris Middlebrook
1962 Custom Southa mpton