Re: IML: 100 Octane Gas in My 1968

The 10.1 : 1 compression ratio of the old 440s and 383s is only true with really good rings. As soon at the rings wear, some of the sealing is lost and the pressure in the cylinders comes down. I would not use any better gas that warranted by pre-detonation and you can work some pre-detonation out with timing adjustments.

----- Original Message -----
From: randalpark@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: 100 Octane Gas in My 1968
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 11:04:24 -0400

The car should run better on it. By better, I am suggesting that it might be a little bit smoother, and responsive. The difference would be subtle, and not necessarily noticable except on a longer drive. Two things come to my mind as to why there would be little or no difference. The first is that maybe the gas isn't really what they say it is, or has been misrepresented somehow. The second would be that your car may have been "detuned" or modified by a previous owner to compensate for the lower octane/lead fuels that have been on the market for the majority of your car's life. Detuning would mostly be adjustments to the timing, point gap, plug gap, etc. while mechanical modifications could have been made to reduce compression ratio. The non-stock ignition system installed on the car may have included other adjustments to maximize performance under current conditions at the time the change was made.

Paul W.