Re: IML: Oil for our Imperials

Hi All...Although I didn't start this thread, I want to thank all those knowledgable IML'ers (like Chris and the many others) who have chimed in with their info about Synth-vs-Non-Synth oils. Personally, my own brain NEEDS to be reminded every so often about these things and WHY it is a good idea to use (or NOT to use) certain products in our Imperials!!

It has not been mentioned (that I know of) and I may be opening up a can-of-worms here, as to which Mfg of oil is better to use in our 40 year-old cars than another brand. I know, I know!!!!... some of us have ALWAYS used certain brands since our first car, or our parents told us to use this-or-that brand. Or, maybe we started using one brand and since everything kept working just great on the car since then, we just kept on using that same brand! (actually, thats NOT a bad reason!)....BUT, with todays Internet and Info/Technology Exchange being worldwide nowadays, has anyone come across a article (or comparison) of a 'real-world test' that might actually show one brand to be BETTER than another?? Also, I had read (don't know that this is true or not) that all gasolines are produced the same and that once they get put into their trucks for delivery, THATS when the different 'additives' are actually put into the fuel and THESE are the things that we see and hear about on all the commercials., and what we are paying extra $$$ for when we buy a gas with TEKTRON or WHATEVER added to the gas. Is this ALSO true with motor oil? are they all 99.9% the same?...except for a few additives?? or is there a REAL difference (outside whether it is a 30 weight or a 10W40 weight) in that oil we put into our wonderful old cars??
Just curious and knowing the amount of knowledge, as well as how many members were ( or still are) in the auto engineering field, I thought someone would have some factual answers to share with us all.
Thanks everyone!!!
Dan Melnik