From: "Kenyon Wills"
Subject: Re: IML: crankshaft pulley repair
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:56:55 -0700 (PDT)

I'll answer what I know and leave the rest alone:

The part in the center is a small metal ring that
bolts to the crank. The outer part that has the
timing mark scribed on it is connected to the inner
ring with rubber, and this rubber goes bad after time.

It is my undertanding that all of the pulleys are
pressed or welded together and are steel only. they
seperate from the harmonic balancer and could be
replaced with similar from a different engine with no
problem.

That means that the pulleys and the balancer are
different issues.

It seems to me that the balancer would balance the
crank and dampen shock. It has a woodruff key so can
only be oriented one way, and thus "wants" to be lined
up in a certain way with the crank. As the crank
spins, it would "want" to be balanced and "should"
match the crank, right?

Someone that knows better can answer 2 questions?:
"is the harmonic balancer something that is particular
to a crank-shaft"

"to what degree are they interchangeable?"

I have not researched this, but there might be info
in the FSM or the MTSC sections of the website. Would
be interesting to know....

---

If it is your pulley(s) that have failed, and your
balancer was not affected, you should just have an
issue replacing pulleys, and the balancer isn't part
of the problem (?).

Therefore, if you have replacement pulleys that do not
match the ones that failed (diameter, offset, or
bolt-hole spacing), you have an incorrect part.

Imperial parts can be devilsh to match up. AC, non
AC, year, model, etc seem to vary, even within the
same year. It's a LOT harder to do right from the
parts-man's perspective than it looks, so patience and
highly detailed descriptions are often required.

I probably mis-read your email, but is sounds to me as
if Bob simply missed on his first try.

You could take your clapped-out unit and put it on a
photo-copier and then use that to fax the bolt pattern
to him. Measure the other dimensions and draw them on
the same page. That's how I'd go anyway.

-K