Re: IML: transporting a car

Hi Anthony!!Unless there are some kind of 'special' circumstances involved in moving this car, it is definitely cheaper, and probably quicker, to have the car put on a Car Transporter. I went though the thought process when shipping my '66 LeBaron from ATlanta to here in southern California. I even thought about flying back there and driving the car out here myself. Do a MAPQUEST search to see how many miles the car would have to be driven; what MPG does the car get, then multiply for the approx. cost of gas (it will change whether you fill up in a small town or a big city). The cost of hotels and food along the way can add up. Don't forget to add in 'maintenance costs' for the car since you will be adding quite afew miles on the car and things do break down. Are the tires good enough for hours and hours of high speed driving on the Interstates? If you, or someone else, does drive the car to NY, how will that person get back?
Does you insurance cover another person driving the car cross state lines?
The 'winter' months are coming up soon in the East Coast states so depening on the route you take you could have some very interesting driving stories come out of this trip.
Weigh all this stuff against putting the car in a enclosed or open transporter that may charge $1000 to $1400 to move you car and it sure seems that the TRANSPORTER is the 'easier' and 'safer' way to go....but thats something you will have to decide for yourself!
Good Luck!!!
Dan Melnik
(if the car is in a transporter, its a lot harder for it to be in an accident during the trip)