Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 6:52 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: Drums to Discs

I believe that pickups used to have rear anti-lock with the drums.
Extremely hard to retrofit properly because the sensors all run through the
computer and THE last thing you want to have a question mark on is your
brakes.  I think some NASCAR cup cars used a rudimentary system (illegal)
that senses pulsing in the line, but I never read much about them.  You
could look into that.

I disagree that tests have found regular brakes superior.  There are some
conditions where you CAN stop shorter without anti-lock, but it's not likely

and not as consistent. Those tests were done with trained race drivers.
Anti-lock brakes aren't about shorter stopping distances, they are about
control during braking.  I believe the newer systems are much superior to
the older ones and you won't be outperforming today's systems.

Rob