RE: IML: Imperial ABS?

Chis, the anti lock sensor on RWD ,is  reading off the ring gear in the differential
housing, (on rear anti lock) .I presume, its the same new RWD cars/ttrucks Thanks, Dave
From: "Christopher Middlebrook" <delamothe@xxxxxxxxxx>
A lot of entry level and late 90's cars still use rear drum brakes. So when the ABS became standard equipment, a lot of these rudimentary units only have three valves - two for the front discs, and one for the two rear drums. The only thing that I can think of that you need to make it work would be wheel speed sensors. Usually either a hall effect type sensor or a reluctor.
On the (handful of) mid 70's Cadillacs that were offered with antilock brakes, the differential had a reluctor fitted into it as a rear wheel speed sensor. I think this method is still used, in particular with trucks, since some still use drum brakes.
I'm not familiar with the types of wheel speed sensors used out there, but I don't see how a retrofit can't be done. Like anything with our cars, it's a matter of time and $$$. Followed by the next crossroads of opinions about a car's value in original form versus modified or modernized.

Chris Middleb rook
1962 Custom Southampton